The Parco Letterario® Eugenio Montale, an en plein air space where the literary adjective indicates a widespread and at the same time circumscribed place that covers the entire territory of the Cinque Terre, was born in 2015, in collaboration with Parchi Letterari® Italiani ed Europei.
The Park offers a cycle of walks and excursions marked by verse readings and insights into local nature and history, by the naturalist Carlo Torricelli and the expert of Montale Cristina Currarini.
To participate, you need to wear suitable footwear for walking on trails. We also recommend you read our practical tips for trekking safely and fully enjoying it.
The literary nature trails of the Eugenio Montale Literary Park
- August 1st at 9:30 am – verses in the shadow of the giant. A walk between the two villas owned by the Montale family, Villa Montale and Villa La Vecchiona, the promontory of Mesco, up to the “Portigiun,” between the places of the poet’s childhood and adolescence. The walk takes about 2 hours and starts from the Park Info Point at the Monterosso station.
- August 11 at 6:00 pm – from Monterosso to Punta Corcone, listening to the reading and commentary of classic and well-known verses by Montale related to the landscape and the sea, admiring the sunset. The walk takes about 2 hours and starts from the Park Info Point at the Monterosso station.
- August 12 at 9:30 am – Manarola, between land and sea. A circular route through the small promontory to Punta Bonfiglio, accompanied by the verses of Montale. The walk takes about 2 hours and starts from the Park Info Point at the Manarola station.
- September 18 at 3:00 pm – the hill harvest, from Volastra to Corniglia. An excursion from the churchyard of the Sanctuary of Nostra Signora della Salute in Volastra to the village of Corniglia, along the panoramic paths 586 and 587. The walk takes about 3 hours and starts from the Info Point of the Park at the Manarola station.
- September 19 at 9:30 am – a walk between the Capuchin convent and Buranco. From Piazzale Belvedere, the terrace overlooking the sea, the path winds uphill through “the uncles of friars” on the hill of San Cristoforo to the Convent of the Capuchin friars. We will then descends through the ancient Via Buranco to the Church of San Giovanni Battista. The walk takes about 2 hours and starts from the Park Info Point at the Monterosso station.
- October 23 at 8:30 am – tree, wonderful creature. A walk between the sanctuaries of Nostra Signora di Soviore and Nostra Signora di Reggio, placing the typical trees and the local flora at the center, also of the literary path. The walk takes about 4 hours and starts from the Info Point of the Park at the Monterosso station, from which you will leave for Soviore by bus. The arrival is in Vernazza.
In case of adverse weather conditions, the program could change, and the excursion could also be canceled.